Sunday, May 16, 2010

yesterday's news

Friday night we went out for hotpot to celebrate Sam's birthday. We asked Austin (the EMU student who's being hosted by Sam's family) how things were going with Sam, and he said, "Oh, we're good. I like KFC. He likes KFC. I'm not sure why we're not there right now." Turns out Austin is funny. And seems just about perfect for Sam. Shelley and I oversaw the hotpot ordering and kept it to beef and vegetables mainly (just shook my head when duck tongue,and chicken intestines came up.) Rumor is that the one girl who refused to go back to her host family on the second evening got pig brains on the first.

After dinner we went to watch Terminator 2 - the first English version American movie I've ever seen in a Nanchong theater (though I saw Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Taking of Pelham, and Avatar in Chinese). The slight discomfort at the glorification of violence aside, I enjoyed the movie immensely.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Holly, but you did not see an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie from 18 years ago in the theater in Nanchong. Now that you've started blogging again will it just be lies heaped upon lies? No Holly, I won't let that stand. Don't lie to the people and give them a false impression of the hardships you endure in your life in China.

I'm pretty sure you saw Iron Man 2.