Thursday, May 27, 2010

another day is done

 Photo 14.jpg

Okay, so I'll have much nicer pictures when either A) Justin gets here or B) I decide to buy a camera. For now I make do with the camera built into the Macbook. Hope the gorgeousness of the bread shines through.

Cranberry-walnut celebration bread from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, the exception that might be made to our no-bread, focus-on-desserts rule for the first few months.

Lao Duan (Leah's husband) is in Southern Sichuan working to set up an MCC water project. Which means I get to drive the little mini-van around. Leah calls and asks if I'd mind driving it home, and well, no, actually I wouldn't mind at all. She has her license, but isn't comfortable driving. The right thing to do would probably be to encourage her to practice more while her husband is gone, to try to get used to driving ... or maybe the right thing to do is just enjoy the damn van.

Duan is very good at cars, and has switched it to run on natural gas . . . so the fun of having a vehicle for a week comes almost completely guilt-free. And it doesn't hurt that it rained heavily the whole afternoon. After classes I called Karen and insisted on picking her up. Stopped to pick up noodles at the gate and then slowly rolled through the crowds of students back up toward home. (I like how unnecessary excessive speed seems when you're used to walking or biking everywhere.) There was even the struggle of the defrost against the encroaching window fog. We giggled like little girls.

No comments: