Saturday, May 29, 2010

first step

It's my third night to spend at the bakery. The first night I still had the van and picked Johnson and FDS up when I dropped off WY and Libby. The second night Johnson tricked FDS into staying instead of himself. Tonight I told them all to stay home and get a good night's rest. I've slept like a baby so far, and I'm certainly not afraid of staying by myself.

We were anxious to get started with the decorating. We didn't plan a lot, just started in with the obvious first step. We had to have a way to enter that didn't include traipsing through the teashop next door. We needed a doorway cut into the giant piece of glass that was the front of the shop.

WY and I secretly delighted in the way the glass-cutters came in a gang, leaning against their motorcycles when we arrived. There were five of them. The leader had a big belly and a lip that might have been clefted, or maybe a fight. They charged us too much, but what were we to do? Duan still down in Southern Sichuan with Rod and Lao Huang chasing government officials around. Later, in the van we talked about how we secretly enjoyed their good natured jokes and schemes to make more money off of us.

No comments: