Tuesday, August 23, 2011

things are different alright



One difference in language I've noticed in Australia: instances where I would tend to say "woman" or "female", it's normal here to say "lady".

I took this picture in the bathroom stall at the opera house just before we saw Scott McCloud give an awesome talk about comics and the importance of visual communication. Justin is trying hard make me love comics just a little. One graphic novel (Persepolis) and one volume of something closer to what I think of as comics (Sandman) in, I'm happy to keep reading.

When the talk ended around 4, it was drizzling out. We bought coffees and stayed 'til we got annoyed at the conversations around us.

I can't stop taking pictures of the Sydney sky. After years and years of blah-skies-Sichuan, even something as "ordinary" as this takes my breath away.







1 comment:

AmyShow said...

I was just hanging out with a comic loving friend in Elkhart and he suggested Sandman. I might have to try it.